Our Building

Mount Zion Building Renovation Presented an Award

Mount Zion was presented the Heritage Preservation Award on May 3, 2004 at the Louis and Maud Hill House on Summit Avenue. The award by The Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission and the Saint Paul Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, reads

“For the foresight and commitment to find creative and respectful ways of bringing a modernist landmark into the 21st century”

Our architects, Bentz, Thompson and Reitow who designed our beautiful renovation, submitted Mount Zion Temple to this prestigious group.

Our landmark temple, located on historic Summit Avenue in Saint Paul, is one of the last projects designed by the internationally renowned modernist Bauhaus architect Erich Mendelsohn. Mendelsohn died during its construction in 1952. In 1996, our congregation began on a phased renovation of the Temple which has resolved accessibility issues and our need for an additional social hall space to supplement our main social hall. The facility also renewed the finishes and added new mechanical and electrical systems.

Mendelsohn’s first American commission was the B’nai Amoona Synagogue in University City, Missouri. In later synagogues and community centers throughout the United States, his resolution of the sacred and the social community needs, served as the paradigm for the postwar American suburban synagogue:

Emanu-El Temple, Dallas; 1951
Mount Zion Temple, St. Paul; 1950-1954
Beth-El Temple, Baltimore; 1948
B’nai Amoona Temple, St. Louis, MO; 1946-1950
Cleveland Park Synagogue, Cleveland; 1946-1952

Links:

For general information about the architect:
architectureweek.com
www.ifa.de

 
Website by Springthistle