Mount Zion Israel Kivvun 5779 Goals
Wrestling with Our Relationship with Israel
In Hebrew, Israel is “Yisrael” which means “to wrestle with God.” Israel refers to four separate arenas: a people, a land, a country (state), and a government.
Our purpose is to inspire אהבת ישראל ahavat Yisrael, a love for the people, land, and country of Israel, and to help congregants articulate their views of the government of Israel and current events.
We have four goals:
- We will help our members feel capable of speaking about Israel in a safe environment of empathetic thinking and open dialogue.
- We will teach the history and contemporary cultures of Israel.
- We will focus on the history of Zionism, structure of the Israeli political system, Jewish and Palestinian narratives of the past, and the cultures of all of Israel’s citizens.
- In the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, we will emphasize learning the values behind different positions (e.g., justice, self-preservation, peace, compromise, land, etc.) and unpack the terms used (e.g., why is the same land called “Disputed Territories”, “Occupation”, “Judea-Samaria”, “West Bank”, and “Palestine”?).
- We will advocate for religious pluralism in Israel.
- We will strengthen our connections with our partner synagogues in Modiin and Rosh HaAyin and our Federation partnership region, Sovev Kinneret.
One event on October 29, 2018 at 7:00pm
One event on November 12, 2018 at 7:00pm
One event on November 26, 2018 at 7:00pm
One event on January 14, 2019 at 7:00pm
One event on January 28, 2019 at 7:00pm