The Month of Elul
Preparing for the Days of Awe
Cultivating a Wise Heart: Tikkun Olam through Tikkun HaLev
Changing the World from the Inside Out
A Jewish Approach to Personal and Social Change – by Rabbi David Jaffe
Please let us know your interest in joining one of the weekly conversations!
Wednesdays in Elul – 7:00-8:00 pm
Join one or more of these hour-long book discussions. Please purchase the book on your own and be in touch with Julie Beckman if you need assistance or financial support. Each Wednesday session will include teaching, discussion, and 10 minutes for personal reflection/writing. After the High Holy Days, you will have the opportunity to sign up for a six-session Mussar group led by the clergy and lay leaders.
- Week 1 (Aug 26 / 6 Elul): The Compass: Motivations for Change and Serving with Our Full Selves – led by Julie Dean, a long-standing Mount Zion member and Jewish educator, who is passionate about the real-world application of Mussar learning.
- Week 2 (Sept 2 / 13 Elul): Signposts: Seeking Good Points; the Power of Choice – led by Cantor Jennifer Strauss-Klein
- Week 3 (Sept 9 / 20 Elul): Walking the Path: Humility and Patience – led by Rabbi Esther Adler
- Selichot – September 12
- Week 4 (Sept 16 / 27 Elul): Walking the Path: Dignity/Honor and Trust – led by Michael Kuhne, Mount Zion’s President
- Shabbat Shuvah (Fri, Sept 25 / 8 Tishrei – During services, 6 pm): Shabbat as a Social-Change Ritual – led by Cantor Rachel & Rabbi Adam Stock Spilker