Z. Willard Finberg Congregational Education Day
9:45 am Welcome and Introduction
10:00 – 11:30 am Workshops
Choose two topics:
- “What is BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanction) and how do I respond?” Speaker: Sami Rahamim, JCRC
- “Short Story from Zion’s Fiction and Discussion” Speakers: Jonathan Eisenthal & Jessica Griffith
Join Jonathan Eisenthal and Jessica Griffith for a discussion of the short story, The Smell of Orange Groves, by Lavie Tidhar. The Mount Zion library has copies of the anthology, Zion’s Fiction, and “The Smell of Orange Groves,” is the first entry in that book. The story also is available online in both print and audio. If you read it online, please consider a small donation to the site.
- “Yom HaZikaron – How Israel remembers its fallen soldiers” Speaker: Tal Dror Shalicha
- “Jewish Diversity in America + Israel: How do we all relate?” Speaker: Rabbi Esther Adler
- Women of Mount Zion Temple Closing Meeting
- Israel: A Conversation by and for Teens Speakers: Benny Yushkevich & Yuval Lerman
11:30 am Our Narratives: Voices from Israel and Palestine
Speakers: Bar Galin, an Israeli and lived for most of his life outside of Jerusalem and Marwa Odeh, a Palestinian-American
Thought-provoking performance that illustrates how two individuals with different narratives can share their stories while sitting together on the same stage in today’s polarized atmosphere. At the same time, Dror Sinai will lead a drumming and storytelling extravaganza for children.
12:30 pm Lunch: Falafel and more! ($5/person) – Wrapping up conversation: “How do we talk about Israel in 2019”.
Sign up here.
1:30 pm Israeli Dancing
Come explore with us the power of Israeli Dance. Judith Brin Ingber will lead us in a multimedia discussion of the Birth of Israeli Dance, and Shira Schwartz will instruct us in the dances. Wear clothes comfortable to move around in and rubber sole shoes.
Co-sponsored by the St. Paul Jewish Federation and the Women of Mount Zion Temple.