Focus on Creating a Culture of Belonging for ALL of us with a focus on Jews of Color
For members of the Board, Committee Chairs, Affiliate Presidents, Kivvun La’Atid Task Force, Open to all Mount Zion Members.
As we contemplate the congregation’s longer-term vision through Kivvun La’Atid: Mount Zion 2040, this Monday’s gathering will to focus on the changing demographics of the Jewish community in the United States, specifically focusing on People of Color and on ways that Mount Zion can support all congregants to feel like they belong. We hosted several programs over the past couple months in preparation. These emerged from recommendations by Edot: The Midwest Regional Jewish Diversity and Racial Justice Collaborative who worked with our Tzedek Committee and a group of 40+ congregants in four sessions in October 2021.
We will look at national studies. We will hear from guest presenters, Yehudah Webster and Rabbi David Jaffe, who are leading a Mount Zion group focused on anti-racism. We will have small, intergenerational discussion groups.
Feel free to simply attend on Monday with the Zoom link above.
In advance, we invite you to read the following, but please come even if you don’t:
- American Jews are taking a hard look at racism in their midst.
- What fact/point most surprised you?What can you do individually to work on antiracism?
- What do you want to do or read to learn more?
- Beyond the Count: Perspectives of Jews of Color.
- Pay close attention to pp. 16, 20-25.
- What is Mount Zion doing well? What is it not yet doing well?