5:00 pm Food for Thought: Panel discussion and breakout groups
- Sam Grant, Executive Director of MN 350 will discuss Climate Change.
- Jim Bear Jacobs, Program Director for Racial Justice for the Minnesota Council of Churches, to discuss their 10 year focus on Truth and Reparations.
- Veena Iyer, Executive Director of Immigrant Law Center of MN, to discuss their policy focus on immigrant rights issues.
6:00 pm Shabbat Service with speaker, State Senator Erin Murphy (who represents Mount Zion’s district). Sen. Murphy will reflect on what she heard from our Food for Thought as priorities for Minnesota.
Mount Zion Winter Book Read
Please join fellow congregants in our reading of: Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents, by Isabel Wilkerson. Isabel is the author of the Best Seller, Warmth of Other Suns, and her newest book compares white supremacy in the U.S. to the caste system in India as well as the Third Reich’s treatment of Jews. Her new book at once illuminates and collapses a complex history.
We will kick off our book read at this Tzedek Shabbat. This effort is part of the Tzedek Committee’s work on racial justice for 2021. Discussion group dates will be determined after the Shabbat program.
We encourage you to purchase a copy or borrow the book from your library. Here are suggestions for local book sellers if you wish to buy the book:
- Black Garnet Books, a Black, woman- owned bookstore in the Twin Cities: https://www.blackgarnetbooks.com/
- Next Chapter Booksellers: https://www.nextchapterbooksellers.com/
- Red Balloon: https://www.redballoonbookshop.com
Mount Zion Book Discussions (via Zoom):
Attend one or more of the following dates. Each will feature a speaker (TBD) offering a 15-minute reflection on what they, as a person who is Black or a person of color, learned from the book in light of their own life. After some q and a, we will have facilitators lead small group discussions focused on the book.
- Sunday, March 7, 1:00-2:15 pm
- Thursday, March 11, 4:00-5:15 pm
- Wednesday, March 17, 7:30-8:45 pm